Osgood is situated in northern Darke County
and is in the Marion Local School District. State Routes
705 and 716 intersect the town.
Osgood was named after Captain Osgood,
its first settler. In 1881, Anne Brewer transferred seventy
acres of land to Osgood. Three years later, on August
6, 1883, the town was incorporated. Around the same time
the Cincinnati-Hamilton and Dayton Railroad was built
through the town, where the present day State Route 716
is located. The town was developed as a railroad depot.
The depot and a water tower were completed in 1891.
The railroad was the major reason for
growth of the town. Early businesses began to flourish.
Among them were a grain elevator, barber shop, general
store, hardware store, blackmith shop, saloon, electrician
shop, shoemaker, livery stable, contractor, ditcher, grocer,
sawmill, scrap yard, tile yard, piano store, bank, livestock
yard and a hotel. The early settlers were mainly of German
and French decent. Many of the early settlers were farmers.
The town was served by several churches;
The St. Nicholas Catholic Church, The Church of God and
The Osgood Christian Church. A town hall was used for
a jail, a fire house, meetings, dances and medicine shows.
OSGOOD COMMUNITY LINKS
Osgood Town Council
P.O. Box 177
Osgood, Ohio 45351-0177
The Osgood town council meetings
are held on the first Wednesday of each month at 7:00
pm at the Osgood town office located in the Osgood Fire
Osgood Fire Department (Town Council
125 West Main Street (State Route 705)
Osgood, OH 45351
TOWN COUNCIL MEMBERS
| Kathleen Langenkamp, Clerk
| Dave Brunswick,
| Ron Brunswick,
| Rob Kemper, Member
| Steve Kramer,
| Ron Lange, Member
| Connie Winner,
MAP OF OSGOOD